National Vocational Qualifications (NVQs) are work-related, competence-based qualifications. They reflect the knowledge and competence needed to carry out a job effectively and show that a candidate is competent in the area of work the NVQ represents.
This NVQ is particularly useful for you if you are presently working in the nuclear industry or would like to enter the area of decommissioning. No matter what industry training you have had, this NVQ 2 is the recognised qualification and may well become the qualification that you need in order to perform multidisciplinary decommissioning work.
We have industry specialist staff with up-to-date qualifications and experience. You will be a student of the Nuclear Skills Academy for the Southwest with a specialist assessment team. Accreditation for your specialist knowledge and training is given.
WHAT DOES THIS COURSE INVOLVE?
Mandatory Units Group A
- Dismantle contaminated plant, structures and equipment used within nuclear facilities
- Minimise and package radioactive waste
- Identify and deal with hazards and risks
- Undertake decontamination operations
- Control personal dose uptakes
- Provide operational monitoring assistance
- Implement safe access systems in a radiation/contamination controlled environment
- Prepare engineering equipment for use in a radiation/contamination controlled environment
- Contribute to your own development
Optional Units Group B
- Prepare alpha radiation/contamination controlled work areas
- Prepare beta/gamma radiation/contamination controlled work areas.
Optional Units Group C
Choose three from:
Additional costs: £2,300 per candidate plus visit cost, dependant on location (up to 5) £550 per visit.
- Assemble equipment to aid nuclear decommissioning
- Dismantle equipment used in nuclear decommissioning
- Carry out planned preventative maintenance procedures on equipment used in nuclear decommissioning
- Adjust equipment used in nuclear decommissioning to meet operational requirements
- Operate remote controlled equipment in nuclear decommissioning
- Monitor operational radiological conditions
- Check radiological monitoring instruments and equipment are in good condition
- Prepare and move loads in nuclear installations.
Must be working in a nuclear-related industry and be able to meet all the
criteria required in the NVQ. There will be a pre-course skills match assessment
completed by yourselves in conjunction with an assessor.
WHAT ARE THE ASSESSMENT METHODS
You will be assessed in a number of ways including, professional discussion, observation, use of witness testaments, job knowledge questions, and prior knowledge. Your performance will be assessed in the workplace by a suitably qualified assessor.
HOW LONG IS THE COURSE
The qualification is set for one year, but will ideally be completed in 6-9 months. This depends on your work load and time commitment.
WHAT ARE THE PROGRESSION METHODS
PAAVQSET Level 3 NVQ Diploma in Nuclear Decommissioning (e-portfolio)